Black can have a different symbolic meaning for everyone and every individual can have a different reaction to the color. In Feng Shui black has a way of harmonizing your home, office, and other environments. It can be associated with the water elements and evokes power, mystery, and calm. It even can have a grounding effect when it is used sparingly.
The color black has some powerful effects and can be associated with a sophisticated lifestyle, just think of a person wearing a little black dress or a formal dinner suit. Black is also associated with depression because it can close in on use and take the positive aspects out of life, pushing us towards disappointment and the black or negative aspects of out life.
The positive traits of black include protection and comfort, as well as, strong, contained, formal, sophisticated, seductive, mysterious, endings and beginnings. With negative traits being aloof, depressing, pessimistic, secretive, and withholding.
If black is your favorite color it could mean the following:
- You may be looking for protection from any negativity that surrounds you.
- You may wish to create an aura of mystery and intrigue, as in a sexy black dress.
- You may be going through a stage of self-denial, not allowing pleasure and joy into your life.
- You hold things inside and are not good at sharing yourself with others, possibly out of fear.
- You are methodical in your work, making sure everything is completed as required.
If you tend to dislike the color black, then it can mean the following:
- You are a light-hearted and easy-going person, not so serious, conservative, and formal.
- You may feel that it is a depressing color, especially if you have a happy, extroverted, and optimistic outlook on life.
- You are not into power and control, you have a gentle disposition and black is too intimidating for you.
- You are practical and down-to-earth and don’t wish to be overly sophisticated.
- You may have a fear of the dark from your childhood that you can’t let go of.
When you look at some of the biggest words associated with black you get mystery, power, elegance, evil, and mourning. Let’s break those down a little.
Black is mystery
The first association black has is with mystery, the unknown and the hidden. Black is a color linked to secret knowledge and even has a lot of association with magic or esoteric ideas. On a more practical scale, black is the color that hides. It can be used to hide feelings, to separate oneself from the world, even to hide weight, as it is a slimming color.
Black is power
Black is linked to power. It’s an intimidating color that shows that the person wearing is setting themselves apart from others and it’s a color that indicates strength and discipline. Black doesn’t usually express many emotions, rather, it conceals them, giving the person in black an air of superiority.
Black is elegance
Black is a color that is quite elegant and simple at the same time. A black outfit be elegant compared to a colorful one. It’s a color used for special occasions or when a person is trying to look a little more appealing to the eye.
Black is evil
Black is certainly a color linked with evil. It is often used to show that someone is the villain in shows and films, and it is the stereotypical color that people who are lonely or antisocial wear.
Also related to mourning
In the Western culture, black is the color related to death and mourning. Black is seen as a grim color that reflects the severity of loss and the pain people are feeling. It’s a very serious color that can help express grief.